About PGHF
About PGH
Board of Directors
Grants Awarded
Proposal Guidelines
Application Forms
Evaulation Criteria
Contact Us
Site Map

About PGH
History of Portsmouth General Hospital

In 1886, a women’s organization called The Daughters of the King was formed at Trinity Episcopal Church located in what is now Olde Towne Portsmouth.   In 1895, The King's Daughters Society seriously looked at the city’s need for a hospital and enlisted women from other Protestant churches in this project.  In 1897, an eight room house located at 49 Court Street was rented by the ladies and named the King's Daughters Hospital Home for the Sick (a year later, it was called the King's Daughters Hospital). Patients were cared for at that location until 1903 when they moved to a house on Emmet Street (pictured below), due to lack of space.  The King's Daughters Ladies Auxiliary purchased the residence on 822 Emmet Street (now known as Crawford Parkway) from Dr. William Schmoele and converted it into the second King's Daughters Hospital.  In later years, this location was razed to make way for a larger hospital and health clinic.

In 1914, a new 3 story building (with a basement) was built facing Leckie Street.

The School of Nursing was established in 1904 with a two-year course, later changing to a three-year curriculum.  The School, located a block from the hospital in the city’s historic Park View neighborhood, continued to develop, graduating hundreds of nurses and keeping pace with the steady growth of the hospital and nursing education. However, in November 1984, citing financial problems and a decreased need for the nurses that they were training, Portsmouth General’s board voted to close the school.  The decision reflected a national trend of nursing students to be trained in degree programs at community colleges and four-year institutions.  After 82 years, the Portsmouth General Hospital School of Nursing held its last commencement on June 6, 1986, with a graduation class of 12 nurses.
PGH collage
In 1955, a fire destroyed parts of the hospital, requiring extensive repairs. In 1956, the name of the hospital was changed to Portsmouth General Hospital.  In subsequent years additions and renovations were made and the purchase of modern equipment and utilization of the latest technology kept the hospital competitive in the ever-changing health care field.
PGh collage2

In 1988, Portsmouth General Hospital was sold to Tidewater Health Care, which at the time also owned Virginia Beach General Hospital.  Tidewater Health Care ultimately sold the hospital to Bon Secours Health Systems in 1996.  Gradually all hospital services were transferred out of Portsmouth General Hospital and moved to other Bon Secours sites, primarily Maryview Hospital in Portsmouth and Harbourview Medical Center in Suffolk. After 100 years of existence, the hospital closed its doors in June 1999, and in August demolition of the building began.  Today, the Myrtles at Olde Towne apartments stands at the old site of the hospital.

Portsmouth General Hospital was a family of dedicated staff and volunteers who were committed to the care and well-being of all patients.  Although the hospital is gone, the Portsmouth General Hospital name and mission to improve the health, wellness and quality of life of the Portsmouth community lives on through the Portsmouth General Hospital Foundation.